Wednesday, September 16, 2015

City Exploring

“The hard part isn’t the first step, or the second step [on the way towards your goal]. It’s the 5th, 6th and 7th steps when you’re in so deep you forget why you took that initial step in the first place. The middle of the tunnel, when you left the light behind you but you can’t yet see it in front of you either. When you have to trust that whatever ‘insane’ notion came over you to take the first step is still worth it now that you don’t see where it’s headed anymore. That’s the hard part of doing something big/great. It’s when you’re halfway up the mountain and you’re too far up to turn back but you can’t see the summit camp yet.”
- The Frenchman



       We have officially be in New Mexico for three weeks today. Those three weeks have been filled with so much, so much adventure, so much new, so much scary, so much laughter, so much sadness. At this point if I had to say what I look forward to the most I would say getting into our rhythm as a family. A week ago, heck two days ago, I would have told you that I didn't think we had a rhythm anymore, that we left that behind in Florida with our house, our other car, and all the people we love. But today I feel it. Like a breath of fresh air I feel the kids starting to settle, my emotions evening out, and Albuquerque beginning to feel familiar.  I am so grateful. Now, if we can get through this last move into our forever rental (until January ;) this weekend I will do a victory dance!



      I've said it before and I'll probably say it a whole lot more, I love the mountains. We all really love the mountains. Anytime we have a spare couple of hours you can usually find us with our hiking shoes on exploring some open space. It is really quite lovely and comes very close to making this emotional roller coaster of moving a family across the country worth it!

There are so many hummingbirds here right now!
We decided to try something different last weekend and we went to explore another part of the city. Albuquerque offers a day pass that will get you into their BioPark zoo, aquarium, and prize winning gardens. They even have a train that will take visitors from the zoo through downtown to the aquarium and gardens. We took an entire eight hour day (whew!) and visited all three places.








They had a lot of animals that we don't have in Pensacola which is understandable considering this is a much bigger city. The Zoo was really big and it was very educational! Although, I had to finally come to terms with myself about how much I really don't enjoy zoos. It is not as much a moral issue, I know zoos do a lot of great things to help animals, it is just about personal preference. My preference is to not go to a zoo again for a long long time. Luckily, my family is on the same page as me, as interesting as we found the zoo the aquarium and the gardens stole the show. 

The kids area of the gardens began with a beautiful castle



Then it moved into a life-sized fruit and vegetable exhibit






everything in the kid's garden was meant to be climbed and explored


the small details are what really made the garden amazing


there was a huge garden train that meandered through a section
 between the kid's garden and the butterfly garden




these beautiful flowers are all over New Mexico!


the pond was beautiful and the greenhouse had several different themed gardens
based on different climates.

Cool plant in the arid garden 





Brent loved this butterfly garden
Mediterranean garden



the healing garden was my favorite part


Why, hello handsome.... 


We both loved the rocks in the herb garden

the entrance to the Japanese garden

there are also a lot of Jack Rabbits in NM



they even built a waterfall

and very interesting paths through the foliage

the Japanese garden was very peaceful

this is a working farm that supplies fresh food
to a restaurant on the grounds of the garden


the original farm house that they leave open for people to tour



this part definitely had us dreaming of owning our own land one day...
I think it probably makes everyone have that same day dream ;)



walking the path back to leave the gardens

the dragon guarding the kids area

The only thing we regretted about the day was spending so much time in the zoo and getting so little time in the gardens. It is not surprising at all that National Geographic voted it in the top 5 gardens in the country. The aquarium was small but really nice. They had a great Gulf of Mexico exhibit that made us feel right at home! We had a great day and we were completely exhausted by the end of it. Albuquerque really is just one of the coolest towns I have visited. It is hard to stop exploring because there is always more to see!

Until next time,

The Brown Family <3







1 comment:

  1. Just beautiful. And I don't know about you, but an arid climate has grown on me. I love the cactus gardens and it looks nice and dry. No fuzzy hair, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete